Images © 2011 Gregory Watson
Gouache on Paper. 5" x 7"
This is a three-part work done originally for a school project, where we had to represent the same image in three different colour schemes (monochrome, analogous, and split complementary). The three images together tell the story of conversion to Jesus Christ through His Mother, Mary.
The deep blues represent Mary at the foot of the Cross, as the "sword of sorrow" (cf. Luke 2:35) pierced her heart as her Son died for our sins. Her sorrow should lead us to our own sorrow for sin, and a desire for repentance.
Purple is the Church's liturgical colour signifying repentance, and red signifies the Blood of Christ shed for our sins that make forgiveness possible. Mary is referred to as the "refuge of sinners" because she desires our repentance and through her prayers leads us back to Jesus.
The greens evoke a peaceful feeling in this image, and remind us of the peace we find in union with Christ, through the Blood He shed for us (signified by the red). Mary's constant instruction to us now, as it was at the Wedding of Cana, to "Do whatever He tells you" (John 2:5), is the sure road to Peace.
Please email me at doubting-thomist @ hotmail . com or leave a comment here if you'd like to order any of the following:
- Set of 3 original paintings in a single frame (as pictured above): $100 (CAD)
- Set of 3 high quality giclée prints in a single frame (as pictured above): $40 (CAD)
- Any individual image (5" x 7") high quality giclée print (framed): $10 (CAD)
- Any individual image (5" x 7") high quality giclée print (unframed): $7
(set of 3 unframed: $15) (CAD)
- Image on 4¼" x 5½" Greeting Card (blank): $1.50 (CAD)